Firm in the belief that the party is all about the client, Colleen’s mission is to provide an amazing party as well as the personal attention leading to each event. She believes that the DJ’s job is not to be the center of attention, but to highlight a client’s tastes while keeping the party fun and the music accessible without being the same old thing.
A native of the D.C. area, Colleen spent her high school years making mixtapes for her friends, voraciously seeing bands and seeking out as much new music as she could. When she got her first DJ shift at KWWC in college, Colleen found her calling and never looked back. After college, she hosted a weekly radio indie show on Chicago’s WLUW, while spinning out at hipster hangs like Danny’s, The Hideout and Club Foot.
In 2002, Colleen moved to New York City, where she DJed at various bars and events. Since 2004, she has hosted a weekly internet radio show called Sandy Acres Sound Lab at East Village Radio where she spins all her faves from her vast, personal music collection. Over time, she was asked to DJ friends weddings who were put off by what was out there in the realm of “DJ-For Hire.” Word spread quickly and January 2007 saw the official birth of popshop! djs. Leaving her 9-to-5 behind, Colleen has booked weddings and events for clients including Food & Wine Magazine, Top Chef and Bravo’s “Top New Chefs of 2009″ party, Karen O from the YeahYeahYeah’s private 30th birthday party, Madewell SoHo’s “Denim After Dark” parties, J.Crew’s in-store events as well as events for Renegade Craft Fair in 2008 and 2009. She recently spun at Designer Escada’s Fashion Night Out event in September 2011.
Features in Magazines:
– popshop! djs was picked as a BRIDES MAGAZINE 2011 Editor’s Choice Award Winner!
– Colleen was invited to talk Wedding Playlists on WNYC’s “Soundchecks” Show in June 2011: listen an archive of the show here.
– Colleen was featured in NEW YORK MAGAZINE’S BEST WEDDINGS 2011 ISSUE: read it here.
– The company was featured in the 2010 BEST WEDDINGS ISSUE too: check out here.
– BRIDES MAGAZINE asked Colleen to pick some of her favorite first dance songs in their March 2010 issue: check it out here.
Current Gigs include:
— Happy Hour at Beauty Bar Manhattan (first Wednesday of every month, 6:30 – 10:30 pm) as well as filling in at Fontana’s on the Lower East Side.
When she’s not DJing, Colleen lives in Brooklyn with her two beloved dogs Hazel & Lucy.